Saturday, December 29, 2007

How To Cook A Roast with Yorkshire Pudding Popovers

I most often slow cook my roast in the oven at 250 or in my crockpot all day with plenty of brewed tea and Beef Bovril plus my trusty Mrs. Dash. A roast can be cooked on its own or with all your vegetables. It's up to you. I have a roast in the oven now cooking at a higher temp for a shorter time though and will throw the sweet potatoes and baked potatoes in an hour before we're ready to eat.

If your roast has a layer of fat, keep the fat right side up because it'll help make the roast juicy as the fat melts into the meat instead of into the bottom of the pan. You can also throw in other spices, tuck in cloves of garlic, roast some onions and make wonderful gravies with some mushroom soup or onion soup mix for various flavours.

A bbq is a great way to cook a roast but my favourite way is in the oven on low, in a roasting pan and then making gravy with some of the drippings. For my roast beef gravy, I use a pot of brewed tea, some beef bovril, Horne's Gravee mix, roast drippings and thicken with Bisquick mixed with milk. It makes an awesome gravy.

If you want to make Yorkshire pudding on the side, you mix: 1 cup of flour, 2 eggs, 1 cup of milk and a pinch of salt. Pour into preheated muffin tins with hot oil (about a teaspoon of oil in each tin) and cook at 375 ofr about 20 minutes keeping a close eye. Sometimes I make big ones in a pie plate or loaf pan instead of individual popovers.

Yorkshires taste awesome with butter and gravy. Did you know they were intended to trick the belly into getting full when there wasn't enough meat and potatoes to go round? Coulda fooled me...I an eat four of them on my own. LOL.

Enjoy your roast beef dinner and turn it into one of those double duty meals too by making them into lunch or dinner for a few days. Make submarine sandwiches with mozzarella and mustard, stews, hot roast beef open faced sandwiches or soup.

No comments: