Saturday, November 3, 2007

What's Cookin' Mom?

What's for dinner? This is a daily question around here. My eldest son loves food and thinks I'm an awesome cook. Sweet child :) I like involving him in the cooking process and my husband is now doing the same.

If you're having trouble getting your kids to eat what you cook, a great helper is to get them involved in the kitchen. They will want to taste something they took part in cooking and exposure to different food will broaden their horizons and up their vitamin intake!

It's a great idea to let your kids help you cook. My eleven year old recently expressed an interest in cooking. Cooking together helps me pass on my cooking secrets, gets me some help in the kitchen and gets him some exposure to help him make a great husband/Dad someday. I involve him in all aspects of cooking. Even my 3 year old helps with simple tasks like buttering the muffin tins and stirring the cake batter or mixing the macaroni & cheese together.

It's a great idea to let your kids help with the menu planning, too. If they get to choose dinner for one night you can make encourage them to choose something that encompasses all four food groups. If they get to choose what vegetable is on their plate, they will more than likely eat it. You can also get them trying new things by setting extra rules such as: no two vegetables the same in a month and try something new once a month. Incent them however you can, even if you let them choose dessert too.

No comments: