Monday, November 5, 2007

Secrets of Great Cooking: Not So Secret

Some of my best 'secret' recipes come from the back of the box or the can label of something. It's a great thing to experiment with the recipes on the back of the can or the back of the box. The recipes are tested and easy and you can grab the items you need in the grocery store and shop for what you need by looking at the listing. Many food companies also list recipes in weekly flyers or package inserts. Many are worth a try. I can think of two recipes off the top of my head that I regularly get asked for and one is my cheesecake. My cheesecake gets awesome reviews and it's simply the recipe from inside the box of Philidelphia Cream Cheese. The shortbread cookie recipe that everyone goes gaga over at Christmas time is on the back of the Canada cornstarch box in my local grocery store. I've also adapted many recipes from the back of a can of Campbell's soup to make it my own by tweaking it.

The next time you don't know what to make for dinner, go to the grocer store and look for a recipe. Or, start leafing through one of the many magazines laying about the house. Most magazines are filled with great recipes and some of them are very simple.

No comments: