Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Chicken Parmigiana - Cooking With Amore

I love Chicken Parmesan. I put more mozzarella cheese in it than parmigiana so I'm not sure why I still call it Chicken Parmesan but that's what it's known as and here's my version:

Make your favourite tomato sauce.
*Feel free to dig through my archives for my ten minute homemade tomato sauce*

Dip boneless / skinless chicken breasts in egg and milk batter and then drench in bread crumbs. I put italian seasoning, parmigiano, romano and as well as seasalt and cracked black pepper in my breadcrumbs to give extra flavour (even when using Italian breadcrumbs).

Then lightly fry the breaded chicken in olive oil just to brown the outside (a few minutes each side). Before putting the chicken in a baking dish, put the semi-cooked chicken back into a large bowl of bread crumbs and redredge. Italian breadcrumbs work great and I always make sure I add some spice and grated parmasean and romano cheese.

In a baking dish, line with tomato sauce and then place your semi-cooked chicken breasts on top. Layer more sauce and plenty of shredded mozzarella.

Bake at 350 for an hour covered with tin foil. Make sure chicken is cooked all the way through. An hour generally does it for me if the breasts are thick. If I filet or pound them flat, the time is reduced.

For a double duty meal, make extra because on the next day you can make a great meal with warmed up leftover chicken parm and serve on hot garlic bread or submarine sandwich rolls with extra sauce for dipping. Sometimes I even put it in a wrap with some lettuce and tomato.

All the above meals go well with pasta of your choice, lasagna, risotto or salad.
Bon Apetito...This dish is Cooking With Amore!

No comments: