Monday, May 19, 2008

Pork Chops in Mushroom Sauce

My pork chops in mushroom sauce recipe has evolved over time based on the needs and wants of my family. I like white pork chops and my husband likes dark pork chops. Sometimes we add Shake 'n Bake into the mix and sometimes I do my own coating. For the purposes of this recipe, I'm going to list the Shake 'n Bake variety but will list my basic breading recipe here for you as well. If you don't want to use condensed soup in your recipe, you can make homemade cream of mushroom soup as well. I often do it from scratch but my family likes this version and it is the easiest to cook without sacrificing flavor or love.


Pork Chops in Mushroom Sauce
----------------------------
Whatever types of pork chops you like. I use darker large ones with bones and white boneless ones as well. Preheat the oven to 375. Line the pan with foil to save on mess factor and spray with cooking spray so the chops don't stick to the foil.

Dip wet pork chops into Shake 'n Bake mix. We like the Extra Crispy Chicken version for this recipe better than the version for Pork. That's just our preference.

Cook for 45 minutes or until cooked and if you like, you can take them out and mix in the sauce and cook them for the last ten minutes in the sauce. In my family, some of us like our sauce on the dry pork chop and some of us like the sauce all over the pork chop so some chops get submerged in the sauce and some get sauce on top or on the side after the last ten minutes are up.

To make the sauce:

Sautee fresh mushrooms in oil, salt and pepper and a bit of garlic. I like Cremini mushrooms for this recipe and use as much as you like. Toss with a can of Campbell's Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup or a fancier canned mushroom soup if you prefer. I also like to add a dash of Beef Bovril and mix it together as well as a glug or two of milk. Warm and serve over your pork chops or bake in the oven over the pork chops for ten minutes to soften up the breaded coating and get the pork chops happy.


Your own mushroom soup can be made easily with milk, mushrooms, butter and beef stock.

Your own breading can be made easily with bread crumbs and your favorite spices.

Bon Apetit avec LOVE.

No comments: