Thursday, September 20, 2007

Ten Minute Homemade Tomato Sauce With A Dash of Love

Tomato sauce can be made from scratch in a flash. Don't waste your money on prepared sauces...make your own. Here are a few tips to help you take some tins of tomatoes and make them into something lovely! This can be used for pizza, pasta, meatloaf or any other Italiano dish you like!

If you want it extra thick quick, either use one can of tomato paste for every two cans of tomatoes or buy the jars of strained tomatoes. Whip it with your blender as well and when I'm in a hurry, I blend it with the spices in the blender so that I can improve the blending of the flavours faster. The love adding part is tasting it throughout the process to get the right amount of love in there!

Tip: Use fresh spices wherever you can!

Sauce can be easily made with: a dash of
olive oil
salt & pepper
garlic
Italian seasoning
parsley

And...this is important: about 2 tablespoons of sugar for every two cans of tomatoes. I also like to often add a can of stewed diced tomatoes for chunky texture along with my already smooth, silky tomato sauce.


I also like to add Mrs. Dash to mine. The sugar helps you take the tartness out of the sauce quickly which is a secret many people don't know about. I also like to blush the sauce with a quick glug of milk or light cream. If you want to make a rosee, you can half & half it with milk (yum!)


Bring it to a boil and then turn it off and let it sit and cool while you prep the rest of your meal. I love starting it by sauteeing fresh mushrooms and peppers and adding my other ingredients to the same pot. You can really taste the freshness this way in both the sauce and the vegetables. I also will do meat sauce this way or fry in Italian sausage or meatballs with my mushrooms and peppers before adding the tomatoes and fresh spices. The oil from the meat (if minimal) makes it taste even more like it has come from a gourmet ristorante.

Tip: If you have fresh tomatoes in the fridge or sundried tomatoes, toss them in too!

Bon Appetito!

No comments: