Friday, November 9, 2007

Cooking With Coconut Oil

I have written about the virtues of coconut oil on my health blog. It's not the demon people make it out to be just because it's a tropical oil. On the contrary, coconut oil is filled with lauric acid which can do wonders for various aspects of your health including your immune system and your complexion.

Not only does it do wonders for your health, it does wonders for your cooking! Coconut oil has a higher melting point so while other oils burn and smoke and release trans fatty acids, coconut oil does a much better job of deep frying and roasting. You'll notice that the oil is still clear as the food gets golden and there's no smoke or awful fumes. It doesn't make food taste like coconut either. I make my famous roasted potatoes with coconut oil and they turn out beautifully because the oil does not burn and the results are a crisp golden potato. I feel better about eating it because I know the benefits of coconut oil. When I make chicken cordon bleu I use it as well as mix it in to my vegetables and with as many recipes as possible. Whenever possible it's most beneficial to use organic coconut oil.

No comments: