Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Extra Banana Moist Banana Bread


My banana bread recipe calls for 3-4 bananas. I use 5! My wee boy says it's the bestest thing he's ever eaten. Here's my adapted banana bread recipe. It smells amazing, is very banana-y and is super moist!

It makes two loaves so you can either: eat 1 and give one away, eat 1 and freeze the other, or eat both of them ;). If you have a bunch of mini loaf pans, you can go that route as well!

My original recipe came from my favourite Betty Crocker Everything You Need to Know to Cook cookbook but as I usually do, I made it my own. I've made some tweaks (more bananas, regular milk instead of buttermilk, and a white/brown sugar combo instead of just white. I also ditched the nuts):

Banana Bread Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
5 bananas (ripe! I like to use a combo of newer & older bananas ---just before they turn black is good)
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2.5 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

How long do you bake banana bread?
Preheat to 350. Bake on the bottom rack. Banana bread loaves take 1 to 1.25 hours. At an hour I'd suggest sticking a toothpick or fork deep into the center to see if it comes out clean. Clean=done.

Mixing Directions:
  1. Mix the sugar and butter
  2. Stir in your eggs
  3. Mash your bananas in
  4. Add other wet ingredients
  5. Add dry ingredients
  6. Stir (slightly lumpy is fine, even preferable!)
Pour into greased loaf pans.
Betty Crocker's version says it can last at room temp (tightly wrapped) for 4 days or in the fridge for up to 10.


(photo: Jason Nelson)

No comments: